Saturday, July 21, 2007

Week #2


Cheers!
I began classes this week :( Monday is my busy day. I have Anthropology "The Question of Race and Racism" at 10AM. Then I catch a bus to the Tamaki campus where I have my population health classes on Mondays and Wednesdays. First I have Health Care Ethics with a British professor. He is really funny and quick witted, but you want to make sure you are not the subject of his jokes. I think this class should be really interesting and I should be well prepared for it considering courses I have already taken. After this class I have Maori and Pacific Islander Health Care. Right now we are doing the Pacific Islander half, then we will switch after 6 weeks. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I have Health Psychology "Behavior, Health, and Development." Which is specifically for students going into health care, so that they can understand the patients better and their psychological pressures. All of my classes have two hours of lectures during the week, plus a Tutorial which is one hour long. Tutorials take very large classes and break them down into groups of 30. This will promote discussion and give students the opportunity to answer questions. I only have one class with a friend and I am on my own for the rest. Especially the two at Tamaki campus. I see these courses as my opportunity to meet more kiwis, which has been fun. There is a girl in my two population health classes named Edith. She is very polite, but speaks up a lot in lectures to ask questions and your are not really supposed to do that.

Leigh and I both don't have class on Fridays, so we take that as an opportunity to explore the city a little more. This Friday we went to a market that is a lot like our flea market. As we were walking back down Queen St. (the main road) we took a detour into a little mall area on the ground floor of a hotel. We were going to a Warehouse, which is their equivalent of Wall Mart, to get black shirts and white puff paint. There were two guys pushing a huge cart thing through a door into the mall, so Leigh held the door for them. They were surprised to find out we didn't want in the door or stay in the hotel. One guy pulled two black T-shirts out of a box in the cart to give us as a thanks. Then they asked where we were from and told us they were from Spain. Then they said we should watch for them at the Rugby game. It was all very funny, including the fact that the cart looked like it had a bunch of trash in it and that is where the T-shirts came from. Right after that we helped a lady pick up a bunch of things that fell out of her wallet in the mall. So we decided it was our day to do some random acts of kindness.


The Warehouse doesn't have puff paint, but we found a big shoe. Size 20!!! It makes me look tiny.
Then we stopped at Esquires Coffee (the NZ version of Starbucks). It was good stuff.

No comments: